Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Print Friendly

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)



I’ve applied for the CSE Programme but haven’t received an email about whether I will have an interview. When will I hear back from the CSE Programme Office?

If you have received an application receipt to your email from HKU Summer Programmes, your application is currently in review, and we would like to ask your patience as our programme staff processes the applications.

The application asks for an academic transcript and a most recent class ranking.  Do poor grades/ rankings affect who is accepted to CSE?

No, academic grades and ranking are only one aspect of the application review.  We additionally look for the student’s activities, English proficiency and short application statements.

If I am asked to have a phone interview, what should I expect?

Phone interviews with CSE programme staff are brief conversations in English to gauge a student’s interest in the programme as well as his/her personal interests.  There is no way to prepare for the interview beforehand.

I am a Mainland Chinese student applying to attend to CSE Hong Kong.  How will I get a visa to attend the programme in Hong Kong?

Please follow the instructions as outlined by CSE programme email.  If you did not receive this email, please contact

I am a student who is arriving from outside of the CSE programme site.  Can I arrange to arrive a day/night earlier than the programme start date? Or, can I arrange to leave the CSE programmer a day/night later than the programme end date?

Special housing arrangements cannot be made for students.  We ask that parents arrange that their students arrive on the first day of the programme and remain until the last day.

Can an airport/train pick up or drop off be arranged for students coming from outside of the programme site?

Airport/train pick up or drop off services are not offered to students. Please arrange your own transportation.

Are meals included in the programme fee?

At mainland China site, meals are included in the programme fee, and students are expected to eat in the school facilities.  For the Hong Kong site, however, meals are not included in the programme fee.  Students are expected to purchase their meals at school facilities.

In Hong Kong, how much should I expect per meal?

On average, students should expect to pay HK$25 for breakfast, HK$35 for lunch and HK$45 for dinner.

Where do CSE residential students stay?

CSE residential students live on-campus at the programme sites.  CSE students should expect to share a double occupancy room with another student of the same gender.

I am a student studying in Hong Kong but I would like to attend a Mainland China programme? Will the programme arrange my travels?

Travel and visa expenses as well as transportation to/from the programme site are not included in the programme fee. Students are expected to arrange their own travel to the programme site. 

Can I request to share a room with a friend also attending the same CSE programme? Can I request to be placed in the same student group as my friend?

Because CSE is meant to broaden students’ interests and networks, the programme does not honor special roommate nor student group requests.

I have financial considerations with the programme fee.  What can I do?

Applicants with financial considerations are encouraged to fill out the CSE Financial Form and email it into the HKU CSE 2017 Programme Office for consideration.

What should I bring to CSE?

Students should bring basic stationery (i.e. pens, notebook) to attend classes and sufficient money to cover their meals on campus if necessary.  For residential life, students should bring enough clothing for the duration of the programme, medications if necessary, a towel and toiletries (including bug repellant, sunscreen, etc.).  Sheets will be provided in the student halls.

Expensive items (i.e. laptops, tablet computers, jewelry) are not recommended at CSE programme sites as students will be responsible for their own items.

I can no longer attend the programme.  How should I let CSE know?

Please email the CSE Programme staff as soon as possible, providing the parent/guardian’s name and contact information (email and phone number).



Do I attend classes everyday of the programme?

At mainland sites, students are expected to attend classes every day of the programme.  In Hong Kong, when students are out of class, activities and social events are arranged for students by programme staff.

I am a residential student but have to leave campus to attend a previous obligation.  Can that be arranged?

Because we highly emphasize that CSE be the student’s first priority during the programme dates, we can only make special arrangements for the most extreme cases.  We ask that parents of CSE students notify the programme via email prior to the programme start.

Will I be able to do laundry during CSE?

Yes, students will have the opportunity to do their laundry with the help from programme staff.

What should I do if I have special dietary requirements (vegetarian, allergies)?

Our school sites offers a selection of foods, and we ask that students with special dietary arrangements first inform CSE programme staff prior to the programme start, in order to make accommodations as necessary.

Last Update: 2017-05-29 11:14:16